A general election to elect representatives of Wards 2, 3, and 5 on the Texarkana, Texas city council will be held on Saturday, May 9 from 7AM—7PM.
Candidate applications for those positions will be accepted by City Secretary Jennifer Evans until Friday, February 27, 2015 at 5PM. Packets can also be submitted to the front reception desk at city hall, if the city secretary is out of the office.
Interested citizens can pick up a candidate packet at city hall during regular business hours, or download an application online by visiting the city’s website.
Mayor Pro Tem Tina Veal-Gooch has filed for Ward 3, and Christy Paddock has filed for Ward 5. Paddock was appointed to fill an unfinished term as Ward 5 representative at the January 26th city council meeting, and will now need to be elected to a full term. No candidates have filed for Ward 2 representative.
The City of Texarkana, Texas will host a single polling location in each ward, which is a change from years past. The polling locations are as follows:
- Precinct 2 (Ward 2) — Theron Jones Early Literacy Center located at 2600 West 15th Street.
- Precinct 3 (Ward 3) — Texas City Hall Municipal Building located at 220 Texas Boulevard.
- Precinct 5 (Ward 5) — Pleasant Grove High School located at 5406 McKnight Road.
Precincts 1, 4, and 6 will not be voting for ward representatives in this election cycle, but their locations have been changed, as well:
- Precinct 1 (Ward 1) — Liberty-Eylau C. K. Bender Elementary School located at 2300 Buchanan Road.
- Precinct 4 (Ward 4) — Texarkana College located at 2500 N. Robison Road.
- Precinct 6 (Ward 6) — Pleasant Grove Middle School located at 5605 Cooks Lane.
Early voting by personal appearance will be conducted each week day from 8AM—5PM from April 27—May 1 at City Hall, 220 Texas Boulevard. Early voting will also be held from 7AM—7PM on May 4—5, 2015 at city hall.
Applications for ballots by mail should be mailed to City Secretary Jennifer Evans at PO Box 1967, Texarkana TX 75504. Applications must be received no later than 5PM on April 30.