The New American magazine just released their latest Freedom Index, a Congressional scorecard based on the US Constitution. Congressmen are rated four times during each two-year Congressional term on their adherence to constitutional principles of limited government, fiscal responsibility, national sovereignty, and a traditional foreign policy of avoiding foreign entanglements.
Here are the ratings for the senators and representatives for our area. The first number after their name is a cumulative score, based on key votes from 1999 through mid 2014. The second number, in bold, is their rating for the 113th Congress, 2013-2014. If there is only one number, the 113th Congress was their first term in office.
Click on a senator’s or representative’s name to get a detailed breakdown of his or her voting record, including the basis for the ratings.
- Sen. Thomas Coburn – 82%, 84%
- Sen. James Inhofe – 72%, 88%
- Dist.2: Markwayne Mullin – 67% (first term)
- Sen. John Cornyn – 69%, 79%
- Sen. Ted Cruz – 89% (first term)
- Dist.1: Louie Gohmert – 75%, 87%
- Dist.4: Ralph Hall – 60%, 72%
- Dist.5: Jeb Hensarling – 66%, 61%